Xanax, another name for alprazolam, belongs to the benzodiazepine class of medications. There are also many other names for Xanax beyond its generic and branded names.
Medical professionals mainly prescribe Xanax to address conditions such as anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety related to depression. The medication’s mechanism of action involves enhancing the effects of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), a neurotransmitter in the brain responsible for reducing anxiety and inducing relaxation. This medication is characterized by its potent and rapid onset, offering temporary relief from symptoms. However, it has gained popularity as a recreational substance due to its calming properties.
The recreational use of the medication has given rise to many street names for Xanax. Xanax street names often draw inspiration from the drug’s appearance, effects, or cultural references. Nicknames for Xanax may vary by region or evolve with emerging slang.
The abundance of alternative names for Xanax can be attributed to various factors. The drug’s widespread popularity, fueled by its presence in music, movies, and social media, contributes to the adoption of diverse terminology. Subcultures and specific drug subscenes also develop their own jargon to create a sense of belonging and insider knowledge.
Beyond this, people may use another name for Xanax to conceal their illicit drug use from authorities or parents. Additionally, variations in slang terms may emerge due to regional distinctions and local drug subcultures, resulting in distinct naming conventions in different areas.
What is The Street Name for Xanax?
Xanax, a medication with the generic name alprazolam, is known by several street names, slang terms, and nicknames. These names have developed due to its popularity, both as a prescription medication and a recreational drug. Some common street names for Xanax include:
- Z-Bars/Zanbars/Xanbars: Bars drug slang refers to the 2mg Xanax tablets also known as Xanax bars.
- Xannies/Zannies: A shortened version of Xanax, this is a common street name for Xanax.
- Handlebars: A reference to the shape of the tablets.
- Footballs: Named after the shape of the 0.25mg, 0.5mg, and 1mg tablets.
- Blue Footballs: Specifically for the 1mg tablets.
- School Bus: Named due to the appearance of some Xanax tablets.
- Yellow Boys: A slang name for Xanax.
- Bicycle Parts: Another nickname for Xanax.
Other Slang Names for Xanax
In addition to the commonly known street names and slang terms for Xanax, other names may be used to refer to this medication. These alternative names may be regionally specific or have emerged in different subcultures. Here are some of the lesser-known slang names for Xanax:
- Bricks: A term used in some circles to describe Xanax.
- Hulks: Referring to the green color of certain Xanax tablets, resembling the comic book character The Incredible Hulk.
- L7: A code term used to discreetly mention Xanax.
- Ladders: Another slang term for Xanax, which may be derived from the shape or appearance of the tablets.
- Palitroque: An unusual nickname for Xanax.
- Planks: Yet another way to refer to this medication.
- Peaches: A slang term that may be used to avoid direct mention of Xanax.
- Sticks: Used informally to describe Xanax tablets.
- Upjohns: A reference to the pharmaceutical company Upjohn, which is now known as Pfizer, and its association with Xanax.
- White Boys and White Girls: Nicknames that may be regionally specific for Xanax.
- Yellow Boys: A term used to describe certain Xanax tablets with a yellow color.
- Zanbars: A variation of the more common Xanbars.
These slang names for Xanax illustrate the variety of terms that can emerge within different communities and contexts. It’s helpful to be aware of these alternative names when discussing Xanax, as they may be used in different regions or among specific groups of individuals.
Xanax Generic Names
Xanax’s generic name is alprazolam. It belongs to the benzodiazepine class of medications and is mainly prescribed to treat anxiety disorders and panic disorders. While it is effective when used as directed under medical supervision, its misuse has led to the development of these street names and slang terms. These street names and nicknames for Xanax may vary regionally or evolve over time as new slang emerges within different communities.
Get Treatment for Xanax Addiction at Ohio Recovery Centers
Ohio Recovery Centers provides tailored addiction treatment programs for individuals who need assistance with Xanax withdrawal and ongoing outpatient treatment.
Research indicates that mild and moderate addictions often respond effectively to intensive outpatient treatment, offering the same positive outcomes as residential rehab. Our outpatient programs offer flexibility and affordability without compromising the quality of care you receive. At our Cincinnati rehab center, you can choose from the following programs:
Our comprehensive treatment approaches blend pharmacological, behavioral, and holistic therapies, ensuring a scientifically supported path to recovery. Upon completing treatment, you will leave our facility with valuable tools, including relapse prevention strategies, coping skills, and access to ongoing therapy.
For immediate assistance, call admissions at 877-679-2132.